Posted by Sari
Last week-end the weather was just so lovely that when my sister called and asked if I wanted to go camping for a night in Nuuksio, the national park next door, I surprised myself by saying yes. Of course, others had hit upon the same idea so we had to hike little further than we originally thought to find a free camp-site. It was too dry* to make fire, so we cooked with trangia and sat by the pond enjoying tea and gorgeous sunset. Next morning we took a shorter route back and stopped to grill sausages at Mustalampi cooking site.
The topics of conversation included
1) The geography of the old West and the newest reserach on Donner party.
2) How to film Tom Stoppard's Arcadia, and the revival of Hapgood in NY with Stockard Channing
3) The possibility of building a base for a lean-to at our summer cottage
4) The unique position John Clute occupies in the field of SF critique
5) G.B. Shaw's Arms and the Man
A good time was had by all. And I have to say that the fact you can take public transportation from the centre of Finland's capital and be in "the wilderness" in an hour is way beyond cool.
* There is a Finnish word "metsäpalovaroitus", familiar from the summer-time weather reports. The only translation my dictionary offers is "prohibition on lighting fire in the open due to danger of forest fire". Honestly, there must be a better way to say this in English...
Pictures are at Flickr